The course of instruction is designed for the high-potential mid-level manager/leader. The course is composed of pre-work, discussion, activities and home work. The highly acclaimed Leadership Practices Inventory (LPI) will be sent to each participant to be completed prior to the start of the course. The LPI assesses current leadership practices observed by colleagues, subordinates and superiors.
As part of the pre-work, participants are asked to bring a leadership challenge drawn from their current work experience. Participants will leave the session with a action plan designed to turn that challenge into their next great success.
The course will include leadership processes and skills topics such as the importance of vision, and values, decision-making, risk reward analysis, strategy development, and implementing the plan. Unique to this learning experience is the emphasis on leadership behaviors such as setting a personal example, building consensus, painting the big picture and actively listening to diverse points of view.
Each student will receive 45 days of follow-up leadership coaching from Col John Boggs and Melissa Lanier. Participants who register for the course prior to 31 December will receive 90 days of follow-up leadership coaching from Col Boggs and Ms Lanier.
THE COURSE IS TAUGHT IN SEVEN MODULES OVER THREE DAYS:
-MODULE 1: Setting the Stage
-MODULE 2: Leading-The First Step is Inward
-MODULE 3: Seeing the Invisible–Doing the Impossible
-MODULE 4: Innovating and Driving Change
-MODULE 5: Making It Happen
-MODULE 6: Building a Culture of Acknowledgement and Appreciation
-MODULE 7: Identifying Goals and Making Commitments
WELCOME AND SETTING THE STAGE
- LPI Baseline Discussion & Overview of the Five Leadership Practices measured by the 360° instrument
- Reflecting on LPI Feedback
- Introducing your current leadership challenge
LEADERSHIP-THE FIRST STEP IS INWARD
- Introduction to Values
- How Values Live in an Organization
INTRODUCTION: SEEING THE INVISIBLE DOING THE IMPOSSIBLE
- Inspiring a Shared Vision
- What is Vision?
- Visual Explorer
DOING THE IMPOSSIBLE
- Operationalize the Strategy
- Implementing the Bosses Bright Idea — Action Planning and Execution
INNOVATING AND DRIVING CHANGE
- The role of Innovation vs. Problem Solving in Organizations
- The use of Outsite
- Challenging the Process for Your Customers
THE “ART” OF MAKING IT HAPPEN
- Follower-ship and Collaboration
- Enabling people — the powerful and the powerless
THE “ART” OF MAKING IT HAPPEN (CONT.)
- Effective Communication
- Implementation process “SAC-IS”
- Experience Making It Happen
BUILDING A CULTURE OF ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND APPRECIATION — CREATING HEROES
- Review LPI items related to Encourage
- Knowing your people — Is it Joe or Jose and does it matter?
- Meaningful Recognition
- Leading is not for the Weak of Heart
- Personal Goals